Place to see

Places to see
The unbelievable places to visit in Bhaktapur (Bhadgaon)
Bhaktapur Durbar Square
The Golden Gate is the entrance to the main courtyard of the palace of 55 windows. Built by King Ranjit Malla, the gate is one of the most beautiful and richly carved specimens of its kind in the entire world. This gate is embellished with deities and monsters with marvelous intricacy. The palace of 55 windows was built in 1700 AD. Among the brick walls in their gracious settings and sculptural design, is a balcony of 55 windows. This balcony is a masterpiece of wood carving. The stone temple of Batsala Devi which is also located in the Durbar Square is full of intricate carvings. This temple also sets a beautiful example of Shikhara style architecture in Nepal . There is a bronze bell on the terrace of the temple which is also known as the “Bell of Barking Dogs”. This colossal bell, placed in 1737 AD, was rung to signal curfew during those days.
The main square of the city contains innumerable temples and other architectural showpieces like the Lion Gate, the statue of King Bhupatindra Malla, the Picture Gallery, the Batsala temple, etc. A magnificent statue of King Bhupatindra Malla in the act of worship is placed on a column facing the palace. It was listed int eh UNESCO World Heritage Monument List in 1979. As per Bhaktapur Municipality from 1st Jan 2001 , an entrance fee has been increased to Rs. 750 per person for foreigners and Rs 50 per person for SAARC nationals is charged. Children under 12 years of age will not be charged.

Nyatopola Temple
Nyatopola Temple, dedicated to the Goddess Laxmi, was built by King Bhupatindra Mall in AD 1702. Famous for its massive structure and subtle workmanhip, this temple withstood the ravages of the great 1934 earthquakes, suffering only minor damages while many other monumentals edifices were completely destroyed. Sitting atop five levels of plinth, the Nyatopola is a five-storied pagoda reaching a height of 30 metres, making it the tallest temple in the Kathmandu Valley.
Along the stairway, on each level of plinth, is a pair of figures: two wrestlers, two elephants, two lions, two griffins and two tigers. Each pair is considered ten times stronger than the ones immediately below. The two strong men kneeling at the lowest level are Jaya Malla and Phatta Malla, who were reputed to be ten times stronger than any other man.

Taleju Temple
Erected in front of the temple is the huge Taleju Bell. This colossal bell, built by King Ranjit Malla in AD 1737 was rung every morning while worshipping the Goddess Taleju as well as every evening to sound the curfew. A smaller bronze bell erected earlier by King Bhupatindra Malla in 1721 is set on the plinth of the Batsala Devi Temple , and is known as the Bell of Barking Dogs. When it is tolled, the local dogs start barking.

Chyasilin Mandap
Chyasilin Mandap is a beautiful octagonal temple below the 55-window palace. It was totally destroyed in the earthquake of 1934, but was recently rebuilt using some of the remaining original components.

The Potters’ Square
The Potter’s Square is another short walk south-west of the Tamadhi Tole. All through the day one can see the potters working with clay.
While the men prepare the larger and more elaborate pottery with the aid of their wheels, the women work on less intricate and smaller vessels that require less strength and only nimble fingers to shape the clay.

Dattratraya Temple
Built in 1427 AD, this temple is said to have been built from the trunk of a single tree. Near this temple is a monastery with exquisitely carved peacock windows.

Dattratraya Square
The square takes its name from the Dattratraya Temple . The Square is famous for ornate monasteries known as Maths. The national Wood working Museum and the Brass and Bronze Museum are housed here.

Surya Vinayak
Situated in a beautiful surrounding of Bhadgaon, the temple of Ganesh is placed in a sylvan setting to catch the first rays of the rising sun. It is a good picnic spot flanked by many attractive landscapes.

Thimi
Thimi is a farming town situated 8 km east of Kathmandu on the way to Bhaktapur. Thimi is famous for earthen pots, home spun cotton clothes, and artistic masks.

Reservation / Booking